Pregnancy and termination


If you think you might be pregnancy you can take a test from the first day of your period. If you have irregular periods it would be best to do so after a missed period or 3 weeks after unprotected sex or conception.

Pregnancy tests are available from supermarkets and pharmacies. You can also get a pregnancy test done at your doctors’ surgery.

If you are pregnant and would like to continue with the pregnancy,  contact your GP surgery to start your antenatal care.

If you are not sure about the pregnancy, you can discuss this with a healthcare professional:

  • Continue and have the baby
  • Terminating and having an abortion
  • Continuing the pregnancy and giving the baby up for adoption or fostered

Termination (abortion)

Abortion, or termination, is the process of ending a pregnancy by choice.

SHACC doesn’t perform abortions. An abortion must be carried out by a specialist service. If you’re considering an abortion, you can refer yourself to any of the following services:

If you are not sure about continuing with the pregnancy you can talk to a healthcare professional who can discuss with you further.

You can refer yourself for termination:

  • For an appointment with UHL call: 0116 258 5939 or 07867528791, leave a message with your details and a nurse will call you back.
  • For an appointment with BPAS British Pregnancy Advisory Service please call: 03457304030
  • National Unplanned Pregnancy Advisory Service (NUPAS) –

The earlier the termination the more options you will have about the type of abortion, and it must be less than 24 weeks for it to be legal and you must have the consent of 2 doctors.